I recently got a really creative idea for how I can combine two things I love. Tarot and Books. It also helped me to decide what to search fro at the library. Sometimes i can get so overwhelmed that I leave with nothing because I can’t decide. Who better to decide what books I should read than the fates!
This time the Fates gave me:
Knight of Cups
- Following your heart
- Romantic, in touch with your emotions
- Allowing emotions to control your life
- Jealousy, moodiness
So, my first thought was to go to the romance section! I don’t read too many romances and almost any romance can fit this description so I looked for what caught my eye and thought that something with Instalove made sense more.
Unchained (Blood Bond Saga) by Helen Hardt
ER nurse Erin Hamilton expects just another busy night shift…until she finds a gorgeous stranger vandalizing the hospital blood bank. Though her logic tells her to turn him in, she’s pulled by stronger and unfamiliar emotions to protect the man who seems oddly infatuated with her scent. Chemistry sizzles between them, but Dante, plagued by nightmares of his time in captivity, fears he won’t be able to control himself…especially when he discovers a secret she doesn’t even know she’s hiding.
Dante Gabriel is starving. What he craves is red gold—human blood. After being held captive as a blood slave to a female vampire for years, he has finally escaped. Unchained at last, he follows his nose to the nearest blood bank to sate his hunger.
Vampire romance! How cliche for me! I happened to find the one paranormal romance among a shelf full of the usual romance pocket books on the shelf. Let’s get on to the review!
Were the Fates right?
Well, Yes and no.
What I mean by that is that it wasn’t good but I think I am so desperate for a sexy paranormal romance that I am almost tempted to continue the story.
What went right?
Let’s start with the positives!
- The female love interest was a smart, nurse! I love nurses and I feel that sometimes (a lot) they do and know even more than the doctors do. Nurses are underated. When you go to the doctor, nurses do 80% of the work, doctors just sign off on everything. (In my opinion)
- The male love interest wasn’t a toxic, super-masculine character. He was in touch with his emotions, if a bit confused. He did have a rude jealous moment but he was having trouble dealing with his emotions after being kidnapped for a decade and suddenly having this weird connection to a stranger. If it had happened more than once and if he hadn’t been, otherwise a nice love interest, It wouldn’t have worked
- There is a mystery that I am pretty sure I know the answer to but I am not completely sure and that is the hook to keep readers wanting to continue the series
So what went wrong?
- NOTHING HAPPENED. With the romance, with the mystery and with the mystery element. It was too slow. I am sure part of that has to do with the fact that this series was originally posted in small segments. This book is actually parts 1-3 and it was only 375 pages. So approximately 125 pages per part! I think the author wanted to keep readers continuing the series so the whole book is just a tease. It isnt until the VERY end that something happens. Otherwise the whole plot is the male love interest going” I want to have sex with her but I can’t control my blood lust and can’t tell her I’m a vampire” and the female love interest going “I just met him and my hormones are going crazy for him and why won’t he have sex with me and keeps LITERALLY RUNNING OUT THE DOOR right as we almost have sex!”
- Instalove. Now, I am a fan of instalove. In a book, I don’t have time to wait through a LOOOONG, Drawn out, realistic romance building up. Just give them an instant connection! But it didn’t work in this book. It wasn’t written well. In fact none of the relationships were written well!
Conclusion: Honestly, aside from the fact that I am desperate for a sexy paranormal romance, this book sucked. Do not waste your time.
So why did the fates pick it?
If I had to decipher it. I was really desperate for some romance before this reading. The fate knew it and the knew I prefer paranormal or “kinky” romances to the sweet one. And while this book sucked, it did inspire me to search for some new paranormal romances
When I did another reading for my last Library trip, guess what card I drew again!
Spoiler: That’s right! The Knight of Cup!
So check back for Knight of Cups 2: The Redemption
What do you think of this series? Let me know if you wan’t me to draw you a card! Curious what kind of book the fates want you to read? Maybe I should make another series for Tarot recommendations! Let me know!
Thanks for reading!